Bird and Hale Ltd.
51 Port Union Rd.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada M1C 5J2
Phone: 416-540-6028; 416-540-2447
Bird and Hale Limited was established in 1970 as a multi-disciplinary firm of consulting engineers and biologists. Both the long-term experience of Bird and Hale, and the expertise of our principals and professionals, have proven to be assets in environmental investigations. Bird and Hale is well recognized in the fields of terrain analysis for engineering, and planning, and environmental management. We have completed major projects in large scale mapping of biophysical features such as geology, soils and vegetation communities, and wildlife habitat, using airphoto interpretation/ remote sensing, scientific research, and field investigations. Our services include:
- Biophysical terrain mapping and analysis for engineering and environmental studies;
- Specialized studies, such as environmental health assessments, vector and wildlife nuisance studies, woodland and stream assessments and restoration, trail planning, and wildlife damage assessments;
- Environmental planning and natural resource management;
- Geographic Information System design and implementation;
- Preparation of state-of-the-art reports and user manuals, and technology transfer;
- Multidisciplinary environmental project coordination;
- Preparation of environmental impact statements and environmental management plans; and
- Interpreting archival airphotos for historical data and information.
Bird and Hale operates an automated mapping system capable of producing integrated CAD and GIS products. The emphasis is on mapping products that not only contain, but also properly convey the required information.
Bird and Hale uses accurate biophysical terrain data, and a pro-active approach to environmental planning and management, to assist clients in making sound planning decisions. The firm has applied this approach to environmental inventory and planning work related to the establishment of natural greenlands systems, landfill sites, urban and recreational residential and commercial shoreline developments, marinas, pedestrian movement corridors and trails, and public awareness and information programs. We have prepared environmental management plans, undertaken environmental assessments, and have made recommendations for environmental policies and procedures, and implemented monitoring studies.
The environmental work on sensitive land issues, undertaken using existing databases, remote sensing, and field investigations applicable to specific projects, has been presented to and accepted by courts of civil law and expropriation, various tribunals and commissions, and planning boards and municipal councils. The firm has been retained by private industry, government agencies, municipalities, conservation groups and other citizens' groups on environmental matters, in Canada and overseas.